Editor, writer, and proofreader
September 2001 — Present
As owner of this freelance business, I’ve independently offered my editing and writing skills to various publishers and businesses, as follows:
• Box Twelve Communications: Copy edited various IT certification preparation guides and other technical publications for proper grammar, style, and spelling. Performed digital proofreading and wrote test-bank questions for a certification guide.
• Glencoe Publishing: Wrote articles for online magazines aimed at teachers. Wrote sidebar material for online nursing courses.
• McGraw-Hill Publishing: Prepared materials for Connect, company’s web-based assessment and assignment platform for higher education. Preparation involved marking up print documents for conversion to digital format and then verifying that conversions were completed correctly. Wrote activity worksheets for school textbooks for a separate project.
• Solution Tree Press: Copy edited various titles and proofread hard copy for company that specializes in publications for educators.
• JIST: Copy edited and proofread books in company’s Best Jobs series.
• Mindsharp: Copy edited courseware for training/consulting company that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint.
• Microsoft: Prepared articles extracted from published Microsoft Press books for posting on a new
Microsoft website. Preparation involved formatting, removing cross-references, and very light editing.
• INSIDE Public Accounting: Wrote articles on various CPA-specific issues for national newsletter.