Department of Sustainability and Environment
October 2000 — October 2012
During my employment at the ARI I was involved in various projects monitoring river and wetland health and monitoring the effects of fire on populations of threatened alpine invertebrate species.
I completed various literature reviews relating to fish ecology, environmental flow monitoring and river health. From 2007 to 2012 I was involved in developing a method to measure the condition of wetlands in Victoria and developed the training program to disseminate the method for statewide assessments.
I have extensive experience in the operation of water quality equipment and sampling and identification of freshwater and estuarine macroinvertebrates.
I prepared the successful nomination to list the threatened Alpine Stonefly (Thaumatoperla alpina) on the National Threatened Species list under the Environment Protection Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (the EPBC Act) during 2011.
Supporting information - further study, training, community involvement, leadership courses
Publications for Shanaugh Lyon (nee McKay)
1. Papas, P.J., Ramsey, D.S.L., Holmes, J. and Lyon, S.F. (in press)
Developing and calibrating a condition assessment method for Wetlands in Victoria, Australia. Journal of Wetlands
2. McKay, S.F. and King, A.J. (2006) Potential ecological effects of water extractions in small, unregulated streams. River Research and Applications. 22:1023-1037.
3. Robson, B.J., Sherwood, J., McKay, S.F. and Kelly, L.M. (2002) Floodplain wetlands of the Gellibrand estuary: What type of macroinvertebrate community? Ecological Management and Restoration, Vol 3, Number 2.
1. DSE (2012) – report prepared by Lyon, S. A field guide to Victorian Wetland Ecological Vegetation Classes, 2nd Edition. Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne.
2. DSE (2012) – report prepared by Papas, P., Holmes, J. and Lyon, S. Index of Wetland Condition: Assessment of wetland vegetation, Update – May 2012. Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne.
3. DSE (2012) - report prepared by Papas, P., Holmes, J. and Lyon, S. Index of Wetland Condition: Methods manual, Update - May 2012. Department of Sustainability and Environment , Melbourne.
4. DSE (2009) – report prepared by Papas, P., Lyon, S., Holmes, J. and Ramsey, D. Implementation of the Index of Wetland Condition – final report, Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne.
5. Crowther, D., Lyon, S and Papas, P (2008) The response of threatened aquatic invertebrates to the 2006 fire in North-eastern Victoria. Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research Technical Report Series No. 179. Department of Sustainability and Environment, Heidelberg, Victoria.
6. Papas, P., Lyon, S., Jin, C. and Holmes, J. (2008) Development of a Wetland Catchment Disturbance Index. Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research. Department of Sustainability and Environment, Heidelberg, Victoria.
7. McKay, S., Bryce, C. and Papas, P. (2005) Impacts of fire on the distribution of a predatory stonefly (Eustheniidae: Thaumatoperla alpina) in the Bogong alpine region. Freshwater Ecology, Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research, Technical Report Series No.155, Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne; Latrobe University, Wodonga, Victoria.
8. King, A.J., Brooks, J., Quinn, G.P., Sharpe, A. McKay, S. (2003). Monitoring programs for environmental flows – A literature review. Freshwater Ecology, Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research, Department of Sustainability and Environment; Sinclair Knight Merz; Cooperative Research Centre for Freshwater Ecology and Monash University.
9. Finger, L., Morris, M., Flett, S., McKay, S., King, A., Bennett, P. (2004) SPPLASH: a prioritisation tool for the selection of sub-catchments for Streamflow Management Plan development. Department of Primary Industries, Tatura, Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne.