Seeing all those photos on your Instagram feed tagged with #CreateCultivateDTLA is surely FOMO inducing.
The tweets and snaps don’t lie: the Create & Cultivate conference that took place this past weekend in Los Angeles was awe-inspiring. Truly a “pinch me, is this real?” kinda experience.
Between the ultra grammable setting on the rooftop (and every corner, really), and next-level pop-ups and treats from the likes of Sprinkles and Pressed Juicery (But first, coffee: Alfred was offering up cold brew all day), there was so much to take in.
But the takeaways are the golden nuggets of truth spoken by the mega speakers and panelists including Jessica Alba, Rachel Zoe and Chelsea Handler. Sharing their words of wisdom to a crowd of inspired and inspirational women. In short: a room full of ladies who slay.
If I had to sum up the recurring keywords and themes shared among panelists, keynote speakers and mentors, they would include: Integrity. Authenticity. Pivot. Perspective. Ability to delegate. Getting out of comfort zone.
To give you even more inspiration, here are the top 11 quotes that resonated with me, overheard at Create & Cultivate.
- “You can have versions of ‘it all’ but we have unrealistic expectations of what we’re capable of.” – Mandana Dayani, Chief Brand Officer of EBTH (Everything But The House), at the “She Means Business: The Balancing Act of Mother and Mogul” panel
- “Don’t sh*t on yourself or ‘should’ on yourself.” – Ara Katz, of Spring, and moderator of the “She Means Business: The Balancing Act of Mother and Mogul” panel
- “Be bold. It’s okay to be wrong. You have to pivot.” – Keija Minor of Brides, in the “#Wedding: Capitalizing on the Business of Bridal” panel
- “Real is the new way. People want authentic content, not just lattes on marble.” – Fashion blogger and YouTuber Evelina, in the “Fresh Faced: An Unfiltered Look at the Business of Beauty” panel
- “Don’t sweat the small stuff, learn to let go.” – Ariel Kaye, founder of Parachute, during the “Startup 101: Breaking Down Raising Money, Scaling & Making Your Mark” panel, on her key mantra
- “Make sure that you have the right people on the bus. It doesn’t matter where it’s going, but with the right people you know it’s going in the right direction.” – Gabby Etrog Cohen, VP of PR and Brand Strategy at SoulCycle, during the “Startup 101: Breaking Down Raising Money, Scaling & Making Your Mark” panel
- “Get your grid right girl.” – Bri Emery of Design Love Fest, in the “Design & Digital: A Match Made in Dot Com Heaven” panel, on maintaining a high level of aesthetic on Instagram
- “That thing that wakes you up in sweats at 2am? You kind of have to listen to that.” – Jessica Alba, during a keynote conversation with Katherine Power and Hillary Kerr of Clique Media Group, on launching the importance of listening to your intuition
- “Everyone should be honest, kind, and forthcoming. That’s how I govern my business and my life.” – Rachel Zoe, during her keynote conversation with Jennifer Meyer
- “I’m scared right now. I could fail on a global level. But I don’t think I will. Because I embrace my fear.” – Chelsea Handler, keynote speaker, when asked by an audience member how she handles fear
- “I’ve really leaned into myself.” – Chelsea Handler, keynote speaker
- “I feel like we are the future of corporate America & inspiring people to push the envelope.” – Jessica Alba, keynote conversation with Katherine Power and Hillary Kerr of Clique Media Group, on launching the Honest Company.