No amount of courses, books, or blogs can replace the importance of having positive relationships in your life. Your relationships are key to your success.
The moments that drastically changed the course of my life for the better were all because of the people involved. People are crucial- they help shape us, develop us, and believe in us. The ones who make sure we’re laughing and healthy. The ones who teach and challenge us. They are everything.
There will be many people on your journey to greatness. The right people will come from getting clear on who you need around you, who you have, where you need to build, and how you need to connect.
The following 15 individuals have had a profound impact on my life–if you surround yourself with people like them, your life will be infinitely better:
- The Strategist: You need somebody in your life who knows you and what you want to achieve. This person can help guide you to find the answers within yourself, as well as help with anything else you might feel lost about. In my case, this is my business coach. For others, it could be someone helping them plan on buying a house or giving advice based on their experiences.
- The Healer: Jim, Jim, and more Jim. By now, most of you are familiar with the work of a healer. If you had asked me 18 months ago if I would ever consult one, I would have said no. But we all experience hurt and pain at some point in our lives. It doesn’t always fall on us to heal ourselves. There are people out there–metaphysical masseuses, astrologists, Tarot card readers, psychologists–who can help us see our own strength and overcome whatever obstacles life throws our way.
- The Triumphant Contemporary: I’m fortunate to have more than I can count. The bestie who is successful. Your most triumphant friend. The peer who mentors you. Create a group of friends who want to see you succeed. Who trusts in your skills and abilities? Who gets more hyped up about your success than you are yourself? Who can introduce you to others and help create opportunities for connections and networking? They’re settled into their own success so they don’t mind helping contribute to yours as well
- The Mentor: Without my mentors, I would not have gotten any of the writing gigs, TV spots, or promotions that I’ve had. They know where you want to go and will help push you there. If you make a mistake, they won’t hesitate to tell you. But at the same time, they’re always willing to listen and learn from others as well. This allows for a free flow of information between mentor and mentee.
- [Related: Redefining Mentorship: Watch the Video]
- The Coach: Without a coach, I would have never had the guts to travel to Bali. A good coach will make you work for what you want but they’ll also be there to encourage and support you every step of the way. They are an absolute necessity if you want to get better at anything in life. It’s worth every penny too- your skin will literally be in the game.
- The Energizer: The people in your life who make you feel inspired, positive, and full of light energy are the ones you should keep close to. These might be friends, family members, or even your pets. Pay attention to those who fill your life with happiness and positivity, and try to do the same for them.
- The Recharge: With whom do you feel most comfortable when running at 10 percent? When your walls and guards are down, and you don’t have to act or impress anyone. You can just be yourself. Be sad. Be weird. Be moody if you need to. But not all the time obviously – that would be too much for anyone! Family members often understand us best in these moments, but our partner or best friend usually gets second place. Just make sure that they’re not always getting our drained battery though; they deserve the charged version of ourselves every once in a while as well!
- The Cuppa: Long talks about random things. Extended conversations about everything that does matter. Drinking hot tea until it gets cold, on the couch. Spending hours bundled up in a car together on coffee dates in front of a park. Drunken wine nights make you happy despite the hangover the next day. Being with someone who knows you better than yourself; the one that personifies love perfectly
- The Believer: A person who believes in you is somebody who sees all aspects of you- the good and the bad. They never falter in their support, regardless of whether you make a mistake or not. These people understand your potential for greatness and root for your success.
- The Spark: When you have a sudden burst of energy that gets everything moving, it’s usually the result of a great idea. And these ideas people always seem to know just what to say to get the ball rolling. They’re essential for momentum.
- The Lover: We all need someone to love us unconditionally. Maybe that person is yourself some months, your family other weeks, or your partner most often. But whoever it is, know that they love you deeply and will help you through tough times.
- The Sister: Sibling or not, this woman knows you. Believes in you. She’s the one who you can pick up with weeks later. The one who calls you on your shit. The one who loves you regardless of who you are or what you’re doing now. She’ll answer the phone in the middle of the night. She’ll make you laugh in the face of tears. She’ll key that asshole’s car. She’ll look at pictures of the rash on your butt and attempt to diagnose it from 8,000 miles away. And she’ll always share her wine.
- The Planner: They help you stay on track. They might be an assistant. Or a friend with a great spreadsheet template. Or someone always getting you out of the house and into new experiences thanks to some well-placed calendar invites. A workout buddy. They give you structure when it’s needed most. Helping you stay committed to your goals and aiding in your progress along the way.
- The Star: There are people in this world who make you feel small. They do this by constantly telling you how the universe is so big and that your problems don’t matter. But these people are wrong–you create your own reality! You should aim to surround yourself with those types of individuals who inspire you to be better, think bigger, and see wider than what’s right in front of us. The only connection that really matters is one made up of stardust–whatever name you have for it. #universe
- The Anchor: They are the one who always grounds you and keeps you feeling at home, even when life gets crazy. When troubles come up, they help bring you back to reality and remind you that everything will be alright. They help show you that this too shall pass.
[Related: Personality Types: Using Personality Assessments To Identify Your Strengths (and Understand Your Co-Workers)]
How’s your treasure chest of humans looking?
Some vacancies? Say a little prayer. Open up with the problems or people you’re missing and you’ll begin to attract them. Keep your eyes up and your heart open.
If you’re feeling full and brimming, tell the people in your life what they mean to you. Thank them, love them, hug them. And then pass this message along to someone else.
And any chance you get, show the love to others that you’re receiving in return. We all play many of these roles to various people. You might be the cuppa to one and the triumphant contemporary to another and the mentor to the next. Give with your heart. Share your energy. It’s a giant thank you to the people who have pulled you up onto your great path.