Happy International Women’s Day! At Levo, we celebrate powerful women every day, but sometimes we need to remind others of the unbelievable feats women have accomplished and the continued fight for gender equality across the globe. Here are some fascinating facts that will inspire you:
- According to research, the average woman speaks 20,000 words per day while men only speak 7,000 on average.
- Although women farmworkers cultivate 50% of the world’s food, they possess a mere 1% ownership stake in farmland, reports Care.org.
- Mary Queen of Scots is often credited with creating the world’s first golf course.
- As of now, there are 17 countries with women leaders in government or state positions–more than double the number in 2005, says the UN.
- In the United States, there are approximately 157 million women. Of these women, 54 percent (or nearly 85.4 million) are mothers.
- The Tale of Genji is believed to be the world’s first novel, composed in Japan around AD 1000 by Murasaki Shikibu—a woman.
- Most women own more than 25 pairs of shoes.
- According to research, a woman is more likely to have a baby girl the closer she lives to the equator.
- The highest IQs on record both come from women.
- UNESCO reports that over 39 million girls around the world lack access to secondary education.
The documentary Girl Rising, presented by 10X10 and directed by Richard Robbins, tells the stories of nine extraordinary girls from countries around the world. The film is written by nine celebrated writers and narrated by nine renowned actresses including Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway.
The film Girl Rising teaches that every individual has the strength to change the world through optimism and determination.
Happy International Women’s Day! We would love to know your thoughts on this day commemorating women around the world. Please share them with us in the comments below!