Sr. Network Engineer
January 2013 — Present
Your amazing online presence is right this way.Create your profile
Conducted risk-based audits for financial, healthcare, and cloud solutions addressing physical and logical security, business processes, and network compliance issues internally. Executed appropriate testing to assess efficacy of internal controls and system architecture. Prepared documentation and reporting for Verizon CFO related to all audits. Traveled 25% of time, meeting with various business units to audit network, systems, and support and determine best resolution approach. Worked with HIE Cloud (SaaS), Managed Hosting, Data Center Operations, Enterprise Cloud (IaaS), and Internal Management Networks.
• Decreased department’s travel costs by $12K by means of creative partnerships to execute off-site audits.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness and strong awareness of current trends through research, discovery, and an introduction of new audit tools to team members.
• Identified a major system security issue during the first month that would have otherwise gone uncovered.
Consulted on Network Operations areas, ensuring ongoing operational readiness operating with continuous improvement principles and internal training initiatives. Oversaw spec work for desktop configuration and $500K+ budget for hardware procurement. Collaborated with multiple teams to ensure system interoperability and ongoing application deployments as well as user testing. Maintained floor plans, updating human resources and ensuring tight security clearance controls for office access. Collaborated with vendors to ensure ongoing availability of network products. Performed MOP reviews and developed cross flow diagrams for new product support planning.
• Awarded the highest departmental award available for project leadership that resulted in an unexpected 100% uptime and seamless execution on a major NOC consolidation project.
• Achieved Masters completion through full graduate degree sponsorship for performance and leadership potential.
• Slashed text-messaging costs by $17.5K per month via development and implementation of new software.
• Eliminated benign alarms and achieved an 80% alarm reduction by means of cross organization and vendor collaborations.
• Reduced expenses by $80K per month through discovery and implementation of savings opportunities by the use of automation and integration of ticketing and IVRU systems.
Acted in numerous capacities for a 24/7 network operations center with rigid service level agreements. Supported remote engineering staff, monitored mission critical FTTP video network for outages and problems, and directed emergency efforts to restore systems while striving to keep all systems optimized. Served as acting night supervisor.
• Illustrated adaptive capabilities, becoming sole staff member with full spectrum of knowledge of broadband network and related processes.
• Selected as interim night supervisor and frequently sought out to fill gaps due to volume and staff shortages.
Provided client consultations on available products and features while also providing troubleshooting on a wide variety of devices. Served as mentor to new team members, educating on policies and procedural issues. Worked with software and mobile devices. Collaborated internally to meet clients’ technology needs. Seen as valued subject matter expert and team mentor.
• Began as intern and progressed several times due to success in achieving goals and objectives for quality assurance and call times.
• Awarded scholarship to pursue undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering.