I currently am editor in chief of Ohio University's only student-run fashion magazine. The publication is online, and we cover fashion and beauty trends, local culture, and in-depth feature stories.
I am interested in a full-time editorial position at either a print or online magazine.
An editor for a food, travel, fashion, or fitness magazine.
April 2014 — Present
- Overseeing the entire executive staff
- Creating the magazine budget
- Planning and organizing events
- Recruiting members and communicating with the staff
- Leading executive board and all-staff meetings
- Conceptually and copy editing every article, caption and teaser
- Helping decide on photo spreads and the cover photo
- Organizing recruitment and community service events
- Working closely with Managing Editor and Creative Director to create a vision for each issue
- Updating the website when needed
The Athens NEWS
Editorial Assistant/Arts Editor
September 2013 — Present
- Go into the office bi-weekly (each day before release) and proofread every article that will go into the paper, including the cover.
- Copy edit contributor articles and columns.
- Format articles for the paper.
- Insert events into the online calendar.
The Athens NEWS
October 2012 — Present
-Pitches story ideas weekly.
-Attends bi-weekly meetings to discuss the paper.
-Writes newsworthy stories, opinion pieces and reviews.
-Attends events and conducts interviews.
Academic Advancement Center
September 2012 — Present
-Tutors all levels of French in areas of grammar, writing, speaking, and reading.
- Has also tutored psychology, philosophy and English in the past.
-Tutors roughly 8 hours each week in multiple subjects.
-Communicates with other students and staff regularly.
Southeast Ohio Magazine
August 2014 — December 2014
- Overseeing magazine staff
- Pitching story ideas and creating magazine budget
- Structuring departments and publication schedule
- Doing initial and final edits of all the stories
- Communicating efficiently with staff
- Helping make decisions regarding art and design
Food Arts Magazine
May 2014 — August 2014
- Fact checking for the magazine and website
- Corresponding with various people and companies
- Setting up meetings
- Attending food-related events and reporting for the website
- Writing short articles for the Food Arts website
- Gathering photos for the magazine
November 2013 — April 2014
- Makes important decisions regarding the website and content.
- Communicates daily with Editorial Director, writers and other editors to discuss content and ideas.
- Contributes new ideas to better the organization.
- Compiles a list of shows each week to present at the meeting as show previews.
- Edits show previews to send to copy.
- Makes final edits on all stories bi-weekly and posts to the front page of the site.
October 2013 — April 2014
- Make important decisions for the magazine with the editorial staff.
- Assist in creating a budget each issue and assigning stories to writers.
- Editing each story in the Features section and meeting with writers individually to go over edits.
- Copy editing stories for the magazine.
- Assisting in making final edits and the completion of the magazine.
- Advertising the magazine release through social media.
September 2012 — March 2014
- Updates a blog every Monday called, International Bands of Mystery.
- Uses Blogger to write the blog post, finds photographs and uploads videos.
- Promotes blog through social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.
May 2013 — January 2014
-Works and associates with customers daily.
-Does shipment and organizes store sets.
-Conducts basic duties to keep the store clean and organized.
-Fills orders and sends products to other stores.
-Communicates with a variety of people on a daily basis.
-Stays up-to-date on current trends and clothing styles.
May 2013 — November 2013
-Writes news stories bi-weekly.
-Organizes a schedule for other news contributors.
-Edits and copy edits news stories.
-Pitches ideas for other writers.
-Attends and helps organize weekly meetings.
-Utilizes HootSuite to filter posts onto social media websites.
May 2013 — October 2013
- Helping create the budget for our magazine.
- Choosing a date to have a copy editing session and securing a location.
- Hosting the copy editing session and making edits for each story.
- Assisting in final edits and the completion of the magazine before release.
May 2013 — September 2013
-Wrote up to 8 blog posts per week.
-Subjects included fashion, beauty, popular culture, opinions, design.
-Regular communication with the blog editors.
-Had to come up with and pitch own post ideas.
-Became proficient in using Wordpress.
-Utilized social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Tumblr to advertise posts.
-Wrote, edited, barnstormed and edited photos on a daily basis.
The Athens NEWS
September 2012 — September 2013
- Pitch news stories to the editor.
- Conduct interviews and make contact with people.
- Write both short news stories and feature-length articles for the paper.
All-Campus Radio Network
December 2012 — May 2013
-Copy edited all material filtering onto the site.
-Utilized AP style regularly.
-Edited 5-10 stories 3 days a week.
-Attended weekly meetings.
September 2012 — April 2013
- Wrote about campus culture, fashion and technology for the High Brow section of the magazine.
- Pitched ideas for stories.
- Uploaded stories to the website through Wordpress.