Washington D. C., Washington, D.C.
Driven, capable, and coachable young professional with two years’ experience in advertising accounting and financial analysis and planning, looking for an opportunity to expand upon my finance background, and expand my horizons. I will be relocating to the DC Metro area in the fall.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
- Start-ups - Finance - Consulting - Planning and allocating - Merchandising - Advertising - Public Relations - Sports
Still to be determined. At this point, it's all about trying new things!
Inova Health Systems
Government Affairs Intern
May 2012 — August 2012
• Researched and compiled comprehensive summary reports on the Fairfax County districts and the representing supervisors
• Archived and cataloged various records and documents including contracts, legal and legislative documents, zoning plans, and COPN requests.
• Aided in copy-editing and proofing of press releases and the distribution of a weekly newsletter
• Attended the Virginia Health Care Conference in Richmond, June 2012
• Learned that I work best on teams where I can tackle projects and problems, and that to-do lists are my friend.
Administrative and Legal Intern
May 2011 — August 2011
• Compiled and distributed sales reports via Salesforce.com
• Attended and helped plan and facilitate monthly sales meeting
• Aided the legal department in contract management and organization
Alion Science and Technology
June 2010 — August 2010
This was my very first job. I worked on a team in the Government Contracts Support Center to close out expired government contracts and create a database of outstanding financial obligations; but, most of all I learned what it meant to work in an office. I spent the summer observing my supervisor and shaping my view of the workforce.
September 2014 — Present
This job taught me all of the accounting basics, and so much more. From closing practices, to reconciliations, to profitability reporting, as well as financial analysis. I had the opportunity to work for 7 entities at once, allowing me to see the practical application of what I'd learned in school in a number of scenarios. I was responsible for the direction and supervision of two summer Accounting interns, as well as the training of a Jr. Accountant. I learned what it meant to wear multiple hats, and that I work well under pressure. I was recognized by CFO for improving vendor communications with domestic and international vendors. I was also recognized by Comptroller for improving variance reporting accuracy for over 900 open accounts.
Destination Services Intern
May 2013 — August 2013
Learned what it really meant to juggle multiple tasks by working as the interim Destination Services Coordinator, stand-in office manager and all around intern. Worked with a local and remote team to process incoming international and domestic relocation programs. Spent this summer learning to get over my fear of talking on the phone - now I'm a pro!
Christopher Newport University
BSBA, Finance and Economics
I went into college knowing Business was where I wanted to end up. After spending my first few years bouncing between business discipilines, trying to figure out what really fueled the fire to learn and grow, I settled on Finance. After a life-changing conversation with a wealth broker from New York, I decided I wanted to learn as much as I could about that which makes the world turn. Whether we like it or not, finances are paramount, and I was determined to learn how to use it to my advantage. Always. That, and I really love a color-coded Excel spreadsheet!