Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Skilled, driven multimedia journalist and first class honours graduate with four years' experience sourcing, producing and editing news stories for print, broadcast and online press in the UK and US. Currently, I'm close to completing a fast-track NCTJ Diploma in News Journalism, made possible by being awarded the NCTJ Jo...
"Change your thoughts and you change your world." - Norman Vincent Peale
My passion for journalism stems from its potential to give a valuable democratic voice to all parts of our society and to hold those in power to account. I aim to produce journalism that encourages discussion of issues and awareness of their impact on ordinary people.
A six and ten o'clock television news reader, following a successful career as a political news correspondent or investigative broadcast journalist.
Concrete Student Newspaper
January 2013 — May 2013
-Conducted research, generated story leads, built contacts and interviewed sources
-Developed skills in data journalism, live-blogging and reporting via social media
-Sourced contributions from a large mailing list and held regular editorial meetings
-Frequently wrote articles for the section and assisted writers with research
-Edited the News section using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
-Collaborated with UEA:TV for multi-media coverage of events and stories
During my time as News Editor at Concrete, the newspaper won Student Publication Association awards for Best Publication and Best Website.
My work can be viewed here: http://www.concrete-online.co.uk/author/elizabethjackson/
September 2012 — May 2013
- Reported and presented local news programs for the Factual department, including providing voice-overs and conducting interviews.
- Was heavily involved in script-writing, research, presenting and reporting for UEA:TV's news show, 'Viewpoint'
Union Food Outlet, UEA
September 2010 — March 2013
Norwich Evening News and EDP
January 2013 — January 2013
One week's work experience with the Editorial Team at Norwich Evening News and Eastern Daily Press.
- Wrote published articles to strict deadlines
- Conducted interviews for articles over the telephone and face-to-face
- Conducted data research and generated leads for other stories
- Shadowed reporters on assignments across Norfolk, including for Mustard TV and at Norwich Crown Court
June 2012 — September 2012
(Also June 2013 - September 2013)
- Wrote copy for press releases and adverts, directed press enquiries and oversaw advertising and editorial bookings
- Developed the Society's new website content via Enhance 2 Content Management System. Wrote copy, changed design features and undertook general maintenance including adding live vacancies and news
- Was responsible for publication design and copywriting
- Undertook event planning and marketing
January 2012 — May 2012
- Worked unsupervised in unfamiliar environments; interviewing the general public and prominent local figures and reporting busy events, including working with cinematographers to collect b-roll footage
- Wrote scripts and assisted with production
- Edited to a professional standard using Final Cut Pro
- Worked in a team to strict broadcast deadlines under pressure
- Assisted in collecting b-roll and interviewing for CalTV coverage of Occupy protests:
Concrete Student Newspaper
September 2010 — May 2011
Managed a team of approximately 70 writers and liaised with a range of local theatres, galleries and event organisers to cover local Arts-related plays, readings and exhibitions. Contributing articles and editing existing articles, including page layout using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
EAP Reciprocity Student, English
UEA (Norwich, UK)
BA (Hons), American and English Literature
Up To Speed Journalism
National Council for the Training of Journalists: fast-track Diploma, News Journalism
A Levels, English (A 92%), Politics (A 92%), History (B), AEA English (Distinction)
Parkstone Grammar School
GCSEs - 8 A*s, 3 As, English, Maths, Science, History, Applied ICT, Art, Spanish, Business Studies