University of Reading
Placement Officer (Part-time)
July 2012 — Present
I was brought in to the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences in 2012 to set up an industrial placement year option on all degree programmes, as well as promote other forms of work placements.
- Received an excellence award from the School in 2015 for designing and setting up the student placement scheme.
- Established a placement advice service to students, offering support with the decision to take the placement year, advising and coaching on all aspects of the recruitment process, as well as support while out on placement.
- Oversaw a nine-fold increase over 3 years in the numbers of students who secured a industrial placement as a result of the new scheme
- Designed employer led performance reviews to assess students’ employability skill development throughout the placement year and ensure constructive feedback for students.
- Developed a range of materials for students to access through Blackboard to support their preparation for the recruitment process.
- Developed a series of placement workshops and presentations to prepare students for the recruitment process, run by myself and external companies who are recruiting placement students.
- Day to day my role involves promotion of placements to students, designing and delivering workshops and presentations and supporting and advising individual students. Close collaboration with the central careers and placements service and academic placement tutor.