Spring is on the horizon! Despite chilly temperatures for East Coasters, March 20 marks the beginning of spring – and a chance to approach each day with newfound vigor. To get you started, here are some activities to keep in mind:
1. Celebrate Fastnacht Day (Today!)
Indulge your sweet tooth with a tasty donut (or if you’re up for it, snag the ever-popular cronut in New York!), and thank yourself later.
2. Celebrate International Women’s Day (March 8)
All year round, living life as if it’s International Women’s Day is a special way to honor yourself and those around you. However, this day specifically speaks volumes—and here are just some of the powerful statistics that prove why:
- According to research, women averagely utilize around 20,000 words a day while men only use 7,000. This difference in daily word usage between genders is quite striking!
- Care.org reports that women are responsible for producing half of the world’s food supply yet own merely one percent of its farmland.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has found that 39 million girls lack access to education, effectively being denied a secondary level of schooling.
3. Watch Lena Dunham Host “Saturday Night Live” (March 8)
The incredibly talented Lena Dunham is finally hosting everyone’s favorite show, “Saturday Night Live”! Not only has she been a huge fan of the show for years but also a continuous supporter of its female cast members such as newcomer Sasheer Zamata.
4. Wear Mules
NYFW has declared that mules are the must-have shoe of the Spring season, so it’s time to get your very own pair! To help make sure you look chic and fashionable, we’ve collected a few helpful tips from Solemates’ top experts on how best to wear them. Who knows – maybe you’ll even find your dream shoes in Nairobi blue (thanks Lupita Nyong’o!)
For all those fashionistas out there, Sarah Jessica Parker has just released her new footwear collection. This line is more than shoes; it’s a statement.
5. Read I Am That Girl (available everywhere March 18)
Alexis Jones, the founder of I Am That Girl has released a compelling book with an introduction from her friend Sophia Bush. The collection includes Alexis’ unique career journey which included red carpet hosting gigs and making it through to the final rounds of “Survivor” in 2008 as well as 30 inspiring stories written by women who have triumphed over adversity on their path to self-acceptance. In her book, Alexis promotes self-love and fights against the familiar gender roles we often see in popular culture. Good friend Kristen Bell expressed to The Wall Street Journal that “Alexis helps me figure out my goals. I think this book will help other girls figure out their goals.”
6. Have a great brainstorming session
As March is ‘National Ideas Month’, get a friend and start generating creative solutions – why not enjoy some peanuts at the same time since it’s also National Peanut Month? Brainstorm about anything, be it writing a book or founding your own business. Why don’t you aim for world peace too?
7. Read, watch and live “Divergent” (March 21)
It’s been too long since we’ve seen a dystopian film featuring an undeniable female lead, so why not start with this popular YA series? Then go see the movie afterward. Be sure to explain it all back to me! After six months of waiting for such a fascinating story, I’m ready and willing to hear what you have discovered about it.
8. Run outside
With any luck, it’ll be nice and toasty. This will help you get your circulation going once more!
9. Celebrate Gloria Steinem’s 80th birthday (March 25)
Celebrating her 80th year, the accomplished trailblazer Gloria Steinem shows no signs of slowing down. Even after all she has achieved, people are often still surprised to find out how active and successful she remains–coming up to her in awe and asking “Aren’t you happy? You won!”
“It’s not over,” she’ll tell them. “That’s ridiculous.”
10. Watch the season finale of “How I Met Your Mother” (March 31)
Even if you weren’t a fan of the show, chances are your friends were. Today is likely to be an emotional rollercoaster for them, so offer words of support and empathy – this one’s gonna hit hard!
Gear up for Equal Pay Day!
April is just around the corner, and it will be packed with useful tips to help you gain a bigger life. Don’t miss out – stay tuned!