Making new pals in NYC, my partner and I are heading over there in May and I'm keen to learn more about my new adopted city after 12 years abroad in New Zealand.
Yoobee School of Design
new york, NY
Marketing Fixer for Startups, Google Adwords Certified with International Content Strategy experience
I am putting myself to the fullest possible use. -HAL
Running the marketing for a promising startup or contracting to help get a startup's marketing strategy back on track. I specialise in jumping into a problem filled pool of uncertainty and sorting everything out, putting together a rock solid strategy, up skilling green staff, and providing some thought leadership support for the CEO.
Yoobee School of Design
February 2014 — Present
Head of Marketing (contract)
July 2013 — January 2014
I contracted with online indie film distribution startup, IndieReign, as their Head of Marketing for the latter half of 2013. This work included a big strategy change, spending revamp, and up skilling of their marketing team. I also spearheaded a panel seat for our CEO in the American Film Market conference, helping prep and record his successful appearance. Our partnership launch with Indiegogo was a massive success with a surge in organic traffic, millions of impressions, and writeups from Indiewire, IMDB, and more.
• Translated business objectives and goals into a marketing strategy and plan which reached target segments quickly and effectively.
• Upskilled and trained staff around social media best practices, tools and techniques in engagement. Revamped stagnant social media strategy and brought in advanced level reporting.
• Overseeing and handling public relations and social media communications to deliver a brand-consistent message.
• Building brand currency to further establish IndieReign as a leader in the independent film space and part of the technological disruption of traditional media outlets.
• Developing effective methods to track and evaluate the performance of the IndieReign’s marketing/sales functions. Including data collection, interpretation and monthly report of Google Analytics, instituting best practices and processes, with a focus on deploying scalable systems to report on IndieReign’s advertising/film sales success.
• User acquisition building and business development for customers, film makers, and film festivals.
New Zealand Trade and Enterprise
Online Content Editor/Channels Consultant
November 2011 — August 2013
My previous role at New Zealand Trade & Enterprise involved the use of online channels and social media to market the inspiring stories of NZ businesses expanding overseas. I produced videos ranging from thought leader interviews with Dave McClure and Claudia Batten to America's Cup themed promotional pieces.
• De facto Community Director/Community Manager
• Project lead - Social Media Strategy
• Built up twitter account followers by 2.4 k, increased engagement by 100%, migrated both international and domestic contributors on Hootsuite and instigated reporting for this channel
• Provided social media training for communications staff members
• Trained CEO and several staff members on basic social media principles relating to their positions
• Reviewed and advised on all social media proposals, internationally and domestically
• Produced over 15 videos profiling international business people for NZTE's main website and YouTube channel including Grant Dalton, Claudia Batten, and Dave McClure
• Monitored, advised, and contributed to all social media channels, including LinkedIn groups, Google+, Facebook, and Twitter
October 2012 — July 2013
The Fetch is a ‘what's on’ guide for Auckland’s professional community, part of a larger international startup which covers 10 cities worldwide. We cover all things business, social media, entrepreneurship, tech, digital, creative, culture and design in one easy-to-digest weekly email, with all the best events, news, must-reads, jobs, profiles and more.
• Creation and curation of a weekly email newsletter in Campaign Monitor.
• Volunteer writer coordination for featured online content.
• Use of both Twitter, Facebook, and offline connecting to help build up our community.
Online Manager, Auckland event
March 2013 — May 2013
I helped the Startup Weekend Auckland team with their online channels, providing assistance with their online promotional plans, social media strategy, live tweeting during the event, and overseeing their social channels. They're a fine crew and a fun bunch, I was glad to be along for the ride.
Production Editor/Freelance and Full Time
May 2007 — November 2011
• Put together shows, edited highlights and bulletin packages with producers, prepared live sport replays, and prepped all incoming content for play out to Sky Sport 1, 2, 3, the Highlights Channel, Video to Mobile team, iSKY, Rialto Channel, the Box Channel and the Vibe Channel.
• Worked accurately and quickly while communicating with a large production and broadcast services team to complete on air content to a high degree of detail and often to a tight deadline.
• Trained iSky team to use editing software and trained all incoming editors on various editing software and responsibilities while on staff.
Jasons Travel Media
Contract Copy Editor/Marketing Coordinator/Social Media Strategist
June 2011 — October 2011
• Wrote original copy, revised pre-existing articles and researched the 2012 New Zealand Holiday Parks Guide. This included adapting the tone of all editorial to the Jasons brand without the aid of a style guide or previously written material.
• Co-wrote and co-produced a series of instructional videos for accommodation clients of Holiday Guide and the Jasons main website.
• Wrote, edited and revised several external and internal comms, including emails regarding webinars, regular email newsletters, surveys and explanation of major changes regarding website functionality for clients.
• Contributed heavily to writing new website content and revising existing copy for Jasons and Holiday Guide websites.
• Wrote collateral for Bed & Breakfast web and print based products. Wrote copy and edited several other collateral documents for various Jasons products.
• Provided social media strategy, researched current digital media marketing trends and assisted with networking.
• Took control of the Jasons Twitter account and increased klout and follower interaction.
University of Auckland
MA, Film, Television and Media Studies
BA, Humanities, Minor in Creative Writing