Corporate Sustainability, Public Policy advocacy, International Development through trade and economic development, Environmental Conservation, and Poverty Reduction.
I work on sustainable development issues through the lens of environmental conservation and economic development. I specialize in partnership management, policy advocacy, and communications. I've worked extensively overseas in rural communities working on marine conservation and I am looking to leverage my experiences into a ...
Environmental and Community Development Specialist
December 2011 — November 2013
The Peace Corps' mission has three simple goals: Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.
- Developed collaborative projects between local artisanal fishermen and government agencies to develop economic opportunities and promote sustainable fishing.
- Facilitated environmental and volunteerism activities, including environmental workshops and beach clean ups, with the local schools for environmental consciousness and awareness.
- Facilitated installation of trash cans to improve trash management within the community.
- Facilitated development projects to improve community members' lives, including classes to teach marketable skills such as knitting, promotion of health lifestyles including exercise and healthy eating.
- Taught HIV/AIDS prevention to high school students and facilitated activities to reinforce lessons.
Duke Center for Sustainability and Commerce at the Nicholas Institute
September 2010 — July 2011
The Duke Center for Sustainability and Commerce focuses on creating solutions to solve the challenges that arise as population growth and urbanization increases worldwide.
- Focal point for logistics, manager of outreach activities, communications, overseer for research publications, and enabler for growth and development.
- Researched global and domestic eco-labeling schemes to determine methodological structure and scientific content for future use as stand-in variables for product sustainability.
- Worked with the Director of State Policy to strategically engage with the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer on policy-making and new financing strategies to target aging water infrastructure and drought shortages.
Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions
Consultant, Real Estate Investment and Climate Risk Assessment
June 2010 — September 2010
The Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions at Duke University improves environmental policymaking worldwide through objective, fact-based research in the areas of climate change, the economics of limiting carbon pollution, emerging environmental markets, oceans governance and coastal management and freshwater concerns at home and abroad.
- Developed, administered and analyzed a climate change sustainability survey for the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer to review climate and regulatory threats within the investment practices of 35 Real Estate Fund portfolio managers.
- Researched sustainable investment strategies, including existing metrics for measuring firm performance, and developed recommendations for North Carolina Department of State Treasurer to grow as a leader in sustainable investment.
- Identified opportunities to initiate dialogue between the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer and Nicholas Institute North Carolina water team to develop sustainable water infrastructure working group to advise State government officials.
May 2009 — August 2009
Earthmind supports the efforts of individuals and organizations in the private, public and non-profit sectors to look after the Earth.
- Assessed economic analysis techniques and research on aquatic invasive species to be included in a guidance document for developing countries implementing the International Ballast Water Management Treaty.
- Researched case studies to support a project on the International Labour Organization’s 17 Conditions for a Conducive Environment for Sustainable Enterprises.
- Participated in technical meetings for carbon sequestration and mangrove wetlands restoration projects planned for Senegal.
- Reviewed technical environmental documents for coastal monitoring project, coordinated document delivery to appropriate specialists for review in preparation for field visits.
- Conducted an analytical review of globally accepted certification methodologies containing biodiversity performance measures for application to an international green development mechanism.
Placer Land Trust
AmeriCorp Member Stewardship Assistant
January 2007 — December 2007
Placer Land Trust works with willing landowners and conservation partners to permanently preserve natural and agricultural lands in Placer County for future generations.
- Conducted community outreach through planned events including property tours, restoration days, educational outreach to local school children and special guided events; oversaw event logistics such as publicity, property access and refreshments.
- Headed capacity development for Placer Land Trust, accomplished and led a variety of administrative, outreach and program management responsibilities, as well as stewardship activities. Resulted in increased staff time to expand property management and outreach activities.
- Spearheaded the annual fundraising dinner and silent auction, which involved developing an event budget; managing publicity efforts; coordinating invitations; tracking payments and reservations; and recruiting and supervising volunteers for the event. Generated a profit of over $10,000 and accomplished the project under budget.
- Planned and lead the Stagecoach Restoration Project through individual and volunteer workdays to extend restoration through planting native species, manage invasive species and continue eradication efforts, and general planting and upkeep efforts within the riparian corridor.
- Developed a fundraising campaign to identify local and regional businesses for auction donations, created central database for donor management. Launched two major fundraising and three membership expansion campaigns; oversaw annual membership renewal campaign for current members.
- Spearheaded outreach efforts for Placer Land Trust at regional stakeholder meetings and public outreach events, including booths at Lincoln Creek Week and Sierra College’s Environment Week.
Masters, Environmental Management
Certificate, International Development Policy
University of California, Santa Barbara
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Political Science, specializing in International Relations
University of the Pacific
n/a, General Education