Old Dominion University
Director, CARE Now
July 2010 — Present
CARE Now (Character And Resilience Education, Now) After-school Director, Park Recreation and Tourism Studies Program, Human Movement Sciences Department
Dates: One Year Appointment [2010-2011], Adjunct [2011-2013], and Graduate Teaching Assistant [2013-present]
Implementation at the following schools: Blair Middle School (2010-Present), Lafayette-Winona Middle School (2011-2014), & P. B. Young Elementary (2013-2014)
• CARE Now promotes positive youth development by using an asset based, outcome-focused approach to support middle school youth who face risk factors due to low socioeconomic status.
• Responsible for the creation and maintenance of unique partnerships within the immediate community that not only help address issues relating to social equity, but also provides students with a variety of educational options, opportunities, and experiences, and addresses barriers of safe passage home and minimizing the cost of participation (free to all students).
• Supervise undergraduate students enrolled in PRTS 301 Youth Development through Recreation, PRTS 302 Facilitating the Recreation Experience, & PRTS 303 Youth Development through Recreation-Lab which facilitates the CARE Now after-school program.
• Responsible for all coordination of outcome focused recreation programming, parent communication, and evaluation for the after-school program, under the supervision of Dr. Eddie Hill for Lafayette-Winona Middle School (2011-2014), Blair Middle School (2010-present), and P. B. Young Elementary School (2013-2014).
• Successfully created, implemented, maintained, partnered and evaluated programming at Lafayette-Winona (2011-2014), P. B. Young Summer program (2013) and P.B. Young Elementary (2013-2014).
• Responsible for the active publicizing of the benefits of the program in and around the community to create strong social ties.