U.S. M&A / Audit Indirect Tax Professional
November 2008 — Present
• Review and analyze due diligence reports for acquired companies from a sales/use tax policy and procedures perspective within U.S. for commencement of work on acquired companies and successful integration into the sales operations of the business.
• Responsible for identifying and maintaining ASC 450/ FAS 5 contingencies for IBM acquisitions and ensure exposures are recorded to protect company from future assessments / audits.
• Review and analyze nexus, registration, correct tax applicability requirements from a sales/use tax compliance perspective for acquired companies.
• Handle high volume of state notices for sales/use tax of estimated assessments for successfully closing registration accounts, outstanding filings, amending returns, liabilities due, claims for refunds and other issues as they arise after transfer of business of acquired companies.
• Handle all sales/use tax audits that arise pre and post integration of acquisitions and strive to minimize every assessment and maximize refund opportunities by aggressive research and proactive approaches to legislative and business changes while maintaining department controls.
• Responsible for ensuring all audits are thoroughly reviewed by management, audit plan has been adhered to and present results to management and staff in a timely manner.
• Responsible for reviewing and analyzing state statutes and regulations for IBM's sales/use transactions on its taxability matrices to maintain current for various assigned states.