Freelance Journalist and Writer
Author, Journalist, Blogger
January 1998 — Present
"An Offer We Can't Refuse: The Mafia in the Mind of America." (Faber & Faber/Farrar, Straus, Giroux), 2006; 2007 (paperback)
• The Routledge History of the Italian Americans (2016).
• Our Naked Lives (2013) Bordighera Press.
• The Essential Sopranos Reader (2011) University of Kentucky Presses.
• Mafia Movies: A Reader (2011) University of Toronto Press.
• Mediated Ethnicity (2010) University of the City of New York.
• Is the Mafia Still a Force in America? (2006) Greenhaven Press.
• American Voices: Culture and Community (2006), McGraw Hill.
• Writing in a Changing World: Writer's Guide with Handbook (2003) Longman UK.
• Witness to Revolution: The Advocate reports on gay and lesbian politics, 1967-1999 (2000) Chris Bull, ed. Alyson Press.
• Reggae, Rastafarians, Revolution: Jamaican Music from Ska to Dub (2000) Schirmer Ltd.
• Contribute articles to print and online publications, including The Nation, Newsday, PopMatters, The Examiner, Rootsworld, New York Journal of Books, I-Italy, Film Comment,Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide, Italian American Review, Gay City News.
• Experienced public speaker, conference presenter, and media consultant/on-screen interviewee for documentaries ("The Italian Americans," PBS, 2015; "The Godfather Legacy," History Channel, 2014; "Beyond Wiseguys," PBS, 2008)