In her free time, Emily can be found in downward dog or riding her new (old) bike all over Brooklyn. She speaks French, and wishes she also spoke Spanish. She loves the New England Patriots.
VP Marketing Communications, North America, Havas Media
Founder, Midnight Brunch
VP Marketing Communications, North America, Havas Media. Founder, Midnight Brunch (midnightbrunch.com). Former Partner and VP Strategy, Digital DUMBO. Emily Cavalier (@ECava) is the hostess, chef and founder of Midnight Brunch, a series of rogue dinner parties in the middle of the night. Big companies like Google, KitchenA...
"And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." ~ Max Ehrmann, Desiderata.
I have it!
Partner, VP Strategy
September 2012 — Present
Digital DUMBO is one of the largest communities of digital talent and businesses in the United States. We help businesses identify talent, launch products, build thought leadership, and amplify digital communities through our four domestic and international communities and via our 12K+ members. DUMBO stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge, a Brooklyn neighborhood that’s home to over 100 startups and digital agencies.
I work alongside the CEO managing marketing and sales strategy and developing/executing products (event series, advertising opportunities and data products) to build out Digital DUMBO on a global and vertical scale.
Content Strategy and Speaker Acquisition
• Create and execute the company's content strategy for all content-driven events, including determining top-line content imperatives and speaker acquisition/management.
Event and Initiative Marketing
• Drive creation and execution of company's event marketing to external stakeholders including members, attendees, press and potential partners/sponsors.
• Execute customized, multi-platform marketing and business development campaigns for clients in several different verticals.
• Establish/manage client relationships throughout project to nurture relationship, resolve any concerns and facilitate their engagement with our community members.
• Lead client meetings, develop timelines and prepare campaign reports based on client expectations and business needs.
• Manage community manager, logistics lead and consultants to ensure effective workflow.
• Grow event series from monthly networking events to ongoing offerings including quarterly industry-specific workshops, conferences and partnerships.
• Create and manage sales marketing materials and created/manage the company's sales process, including creation of sales collateral.
• Build lead pipeline for the company's new/updated products
Midnight Brunch | Mouth of the Border
June 2009 — Present
I'm the founder and hostess of Midnight Brunch (MidnightBrunch.com). I throw dinner parties in the middle of the night, and big companies like Google, KitchenAid and the Mexico Tourism Board pay me to do it. Midnight Brunch connects some of the city's most culturally literate residents and adventurous eaters to help them learn about ethnic food and craft cocktails in a fun and elegant environment. It also gives sponsors a way to intersect with the exact demographic that is so hard to engage with deeply online.
I also consult on event strategy/production and social media projects with food, liquor and media brands.
Current/recently executed projects include:
• May 2012: Worked with Jack From Brooklyn to develop their strategy for a 500-person event to launch Sorel (their first liquor product) at Manhattan Cocktail Classic, NYC’s largest and most influential liquor event for trade and consumers. The theme was “Brooklyn Day.” We featured a food fair highlighting some of our borough’s best food vendors from foie gras to fresh lobster rolls. As a result of our event, my client got a huge shout-out from none other than the New York Times’ cocktail writer, Robert Simonson.
• May 2012: Midnight Brunch was included in Time Out New York’s “Best Brunch in NYC: 2012” list, in print and online.
• March 2012 and September 2011: Produced custom event for a select audience of 30 influencers for Google Places NYC.
• February 2012: Executed Facebook contest and created social media execution strategy for Clean Plates, LLC
• March 2011: Collaborated on consumer-engagement event strategy for Condé Nast’s Gourmet Live.
• February 2011: Planned and co-produced the Eats & Apps Food App Showcase for 2011 Social Media Week NYC, gathering close to 200 attendees. http://eatsandapps.eventbrite.com.
• September - November 2010: Executed Gourmet Live's partnership with Foursquare. Gourmet Live (http://live.gourmet.com/) is Condé Nast's digital revival of the iconic Gourmet magazine brand
Dept. Manager (Young, Accessories/Lingerie and Children's Divisions)
Global Communications Director (Consulting Role)
March 2012 — August 2012
Speaker acquisition, content strategy, audience marketing strategy, day-of logistics process and internal workflow management throughout the planning process.
Plain English: I worked with the kick-ass Digital DUMBO team to take their monthly meetups to the next level. We did that in May 2012 by creating a content-focused half-day conference exploring technology and its influence on specific lifestyle verticals (food, fashion, music and design).
We gathered 24 speakers and over 120 attendees (lifestyle executives and agency side) for the multi-panel event and received great feedback in real-time via social media as well as post-event in attendee and speaker feedback.
I worked alongside the CEO and his team to create the strategy and develop products (event series, advertising opportunities and digital products) to build out Digital DUMBO on a global and vertical scale. This work led the CEO to invite me to join the business as a partner and VP, Strategy (my current role).
Argyle Executive Forum
Project Mgr (June '10-June '11), Dir., Bus Dev ('07-'10) CMO and E-Commerce Executive Memberships
January 2007 — June 2011
Argyle Executive Forum is a high-growth professional services firm that convenes business leaders from highly-targeted B2B communities for strategic collaboration and business development. Since '04, Argyle has advanced the exchange of new ideas and timely perspectives among senior operating leaders, board members and investment managers. Over 25,000 executives participate in one or several of our invitation-only communities with over 100 live events each year.
I developed and executed integrated business development campaigns on behalf of our clients, including sponsorship, speaking and branding opportunities.
I helped build the company over the past four years as one of the core employees.
• Executed customized, multifaceted integrated projects for clients in several different verticals.
• Established/managed client relationships throughout project to nurture client's relationship, resolve any concerns and facilitate their engagement with our community members.
• Led meetings with clients and developed timelines and plans based on client expectations and business needs.
• Managed over 25 major projects and accounts at one time.
• Worked with other departments to ensure client expectations were satisfied and to ensure effective workflow.
• Managed upsells and renewals.
• Created PM training collateral and training of three PMs.
• Built a robust new lead pipeline for the CMO business unit from the ground up using proprietary research.
• Renewed 80% of first-year sponsors, leading to the company's highest-grossing single event to date.
• Grew CMO business unit from one annual event to four-event, multi-city series.
• Initiated, grew and maintained sales relationships with some of the company's largest clients, including IBM, Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle and Infogroup.
• Managed numerous sponsors (over 25 major accounts) at one time.
• Created sales training collateral, and executed the training of six sales professionals.
Business NH Magazine/Interface Tech News, Millyard Communications
January 2006 — December 2006
• Feature-writing, story and event idea generation for publications that deliver the most comprehensive business coverage in the state.
• Assisting with event coordination of Millyard Communications annual events, including the “Made in New Hampshire Expo.”
• Collaborating with the art/production department on publication layout, stock art selection and executing photo shoots for the company’s three publications.
• Working closely with the Managing Editor on variety of special projects, including monthly guides and major issues such as the annual “Best Companies to Work For,” and “Most Powerful People.”
• Proofreading, coordinating project management with editors of sister publications.
May 2003 — September 2005
• Awarded first place prize for “coverage of a racial or ethnic issue” in the New England Press Association’s 2005 Better Newspaper Contest for my collaborative series, “Multicultural Mosaic.”
• Was awarded the 2004 “Rookie of the Year” honor by the New Hampshire Press Association.
• Led a team of newsroom employees focused on innovation, resulting in new media ventures and improved staff communication.
• Covered breaking news, wrote feature stories and special reports.
NBC, Medill News Service, Nashua Telegraph
Broadcast/Other Media Experience
January 2001 — June 2001
• Producer/Reporter: A-TV (ABC affiliate, Oranjestad, Aruba. April-June 2001)
• Correspondent: KVIA-TV (ABC). El Paso, TX. (Washington D.C. Bureau. Jan. - March 2001)
• Reporter: Medill News Service/Northwestern News Network. (Chicago, IL. June-Dec. 2000)
• Reporter: Nashua Telegraph Newspaper. (Nashua, NH. January-May 2000)
Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University
Masters of Science, Broadcast Journalism, Broadcast Journalism
M.S., Broadcast Journalism
University of New Hampshire