September 2012 — July 2013
I was a full-time Telesales Agent for an outbound call centre, selling Sky Insurance. I was constantly on the computer, as telesales is a computer and phone based role. My working hours were 11am - 7pm Monday - Friday and 10am - 6pm every last Saturday.
During my time with the company, my roles included;
- Polite and professional telephone manner.
- Being able to speak clear and fluent English.
- Selling my personality over the phone.
- Mailing relevant product information to potential customers (example: living alone, maybe had a hearing problem or possible language barrier that we were unable to overcome).
- Being able to adapt to customers. (Knowing how to approach the conversation from potential customers first response, understanding some customers have speech / hearing problems - so slowing down, speaking louder and clearer would be necessary)
- Being understanding.
- Not pressurising.
- Dealing with queries and complaints.
- Issuing deals and special offers to a particular group of customers. (Elderly customers would be offered a discount; under particular circumstances.etc.)
- Providing product knowledge and also using certain vocabulary; in order to appeal to potential customers.
- Having a wide mental knowledge of the product, company procedures, policy, prices, deals .etc. (showing customers that us Agents have a wider knowledge of the product, being able to provide them with the correct knowledge with no hesitation).
- Working independently and as part of a team.
My time with the company was an enjoyable experience. I learnt quickly that approaching each potential customer the same would not have the same outcome, so using my initiative, I learnt to feed off of the customers responses and adapt my selling skills according. The work place itself was highly motivated. Although all Agents sold the product independently; with the leads provided through our database, we also worked as part of a team; we had daily team targets, as well as daily personal targets. Reaching our personal targets also meant hitting team targets, which made us as a team bond. The whole floor would be given personal incentives, team incentives and friendly rivalry incentives. We would be rewarded monthly team outings, which allowed us to continue a friendly bond and work great as a whole in the work place. This personally made me sell more, as I felt happy and relaxed, which allowed my personality to shine naturally when telephoning potential customers.