Affiliate Associate (Americorps Vista)
August 2013 — Present
Your amazing online presence is right this way.Create your profile
Affiliate Associate at Glow Foundation
Something involving international relations, Asia, and education!
• Teaching English language at Intermediate and Advanced levels in three classes with 20-25 students in each class. Responsible for lesson planning, weekly office hours, and leading weekly Book Club discussion.
• Teaching courses on intercultural communication between Westerners and Chinese people, academic writing and social sciences.
• Serving as an Adviser for English Lounge, a student run organization. Providing guidance to students in leadership positions and acting as a liaison between faculty and students.
• Working at University’s English Language Activity Center. Responsible for operation and maintenance of facility, facilitating extracurricular activities.
Speech Contest Coordinator
• Coordinating Speech Contest for Shantou University's (STU) Intercollegiate English Festival.
• Leading workshops for Masters of Ceremonies (MCs) and contestants on speech and presentation skills, proofreading speeches and lines for the MCs.
• Coaching and mentoring STU contestants and providing guidance for the international contestants from Korea and around China.
• Researching and soliciting quality films from across the world for submissions.
• Organizing film submissions, screenings and serving as a member of selection committee for submissions.
• Assisting faculty and students with circulation of library materials. Skills learned include use of Summit/Interlibrary Loan system, library circulation and operation process and organization.
• Translating contract documents from English to Chinese.
• Assisting with research for legal cases, specifically regarding aviation law and contracts.
• Served as Bunk Counselor for 4th graders, in charge of their health and well-being for 8 weeks.
• Arranging, playing and teaching music to children ages 5-16 for various musicals
• Teaching piano and voice lessons, acting/theater classes, assisting with stage direction.
• Researching news materials, interviewing people on campus and in the community for news articles.
• Writing news/arts & entertainment articles for tight weekly deadlines.