Vista Higher Learning
Director of Rights Management
April 2014 — Present
I manage a tight team of dedicated rights professionals, both on- and off-site. Together, these are just a few of the crucial core responsibilities we fulfill:
* Clear the rights to all third-party content (photos, text, and rich media) in all titles (first editions and revisions), all learner levels (secondary and higher ed), all formats (print, vText, eBook, website, app, etc.).
* Store, track, and monitor contracts for all content (including reprints) to ensure licenses are accurate and up-to-date throughout life of edition.
* Liaise with vendors to ensure mutually agreeable pricing and licensing terms as needs and uses evolve.
* Negotiate denials and high fees to ensure high, on-budget clearance rates for requested content.
* Keep informed on industry trends and developments, and inform affected internal stakeholders of changes that may affect content clearance (e.g. changes in copyright laws, literary agency mergers, etc.)
* Liaise with staff and freelance photographers to conduct custom photo shoots, keeping our content fresh, exclusive, and culturally relevant.
* Where necessary, communicate (whether directly or with assistance) with rightsholders and vendors in their mother tongue (French, German, Spanish or Italian) to ensure mutual understanding.
* Quickly escalate risk communications, denials, and alternate content strategies to appropriate internal stakeholders in order to guard against last-minute content gaps.
* Regularly train and orient other departments regarding "need-to-know" rights best practices and tips and tricks. (No info overload, no mysteries!)
* Grant permission for external parties to use our intellectual property.