Everyone knows that as work ramps up, physical activity is oftentimes placed on the back burner. With chaotic days moving into extended evenings, after-work cocktails with buddies, or sheer exhaustion can lead to us diminishing our motivations. If you’re seeking to climb upward in the corporate world (or as Sheryl Sandberg calls it, a jungle gym), prioritizing your health can bring rewards both now and later on. Even dedicating just 20 or 30 minutes of each morning to exercise is a great place to start building this positive habit – here’s why:
- Jumpstart metabolism – Harness the power of your body and kickstart your metabolism with exercise. Whether you opt for resistance training or more traditional cardio, this is the perfect opportunity to turbocharge yourself before a full day of nourishment.
- Clear your mind – Beginning each day with a morning meditation or an invigorating jog not only fortifies your body but additionally jump-starts the mind to think clearly and plan ahead. When you arrive at work ready for any task that comes your way, you will be able to accomplish more than ever before!
- Increase productivity – Starting your day with a morning workout is an excellent way to vanquish the sleep-induced fog and give yourself an extra boost of energy for what’s ahead! Getting up earlier also allows you to finish tasks faster, so there’s no excuse not to do it. Wake up early and make use of that energizing feeling from exercising – you won’t regret it!
- Spend time with friends – Exercising with a friend can help you stay committed and accountable. You’re more likely to stick to that morning run if somebody is relying on your attendance! Join running clubs, outdoor boot camps, or group exercise classes in order to build an encouraging network outside of work. Even when your schedule appears full – gathering together with friends for an early workout session could be the perfect chance!
- Leave time for play – Instead of the daily burden of “exercising,” morning workouts free up your time to do more enjoyable things like attending book signings, grabbing happy hour with friends, or cooking a delicious dinner for date night. By getting in that early workout you can indulge guilt-free and have an even better day!
- Make healthier food choices – By making exercise part of your morning routine, you are already setting the tone for a day dedicated to well-being. This can have powerful effects on your diet choices all throughout the day, reducing the temptation to reach for that donut in an office meeting and encouraging you to eat what you brought from home instead.
If you’re not a morning person, then it’s absolutely okay to start small with your commitments. Maybe just exercising 2-3 mornings weekly is the best place to begin, and you can always work up from there. Once your body has adjusted to the new routine, you won’t be as exhausted. To make it easier for yourself, put your alarm clock on the other side of the room so that you have no choice but to get out of bed and turn it off. Whether this works or not, try sleeping in your workout gear – all you’ll need is a few laces tied up before heading outside!
What energizes you to kick-start your day? Share with us in the comments below!
Gain insight from Daniel Rosensweig, President, and CEO of Chegg, Inc., on how he starts each and every day by asking him about his morning routine!
Life after college can be overwhelming, but it's also full of opportunities. Here are the most important lessons Levo has learned so far.
Discover essential tips for going on vacation alone, ensuring a safe and enjoyable solo vacation adventure for female travelers.
If you're considering a move, these 10 questions to ask new employer can help you determine if the role is right for you.