To me, there is nothing worse than being hot, sweaty and sticky. I would give anything to be inside enjoying air conditioning or swimming in the ocean. If neither of these items is included in the itinerary, I will probably be unhappy or whiny. Not to mention, I live my summers on the Jersey Shore, so these conditions are kind of hard to escape. There are many time when I’ve found myself trapped in a sticky climate, but I think I’ve mastered many ways to beat the heat while still enjoying my summers.
1. Never leave the house without ice cold water. I always have about five water bottles in my freezer to use on hot summer days. These ice cold waters become the perfect drink for me, and they can also be used as freezer packs in coolers for the beach.
2. Dig out your old board games or cards and call up your childhood friends to come over and play. This may sound lame, but my childhood friends and I still love to get together and play the game of LIFE and Rummy 500. It’s such a nice time to connect and catch up!
3. Go to the movies. There is no colder place than a movie theater. This is probably the best place to beat the heat and see a new summer movie!
4. Volunteer. Giving back is so important for your own well-being and for your local community. Find a place to volunteer (preferably inside) and donate your time to help someone out.
5. Shop until you drop. Next to the movie theater, malls are probably the next coldest place. Shopping will take your mind off the heat and keep you cool while buying new things!
6. Find the perfect beach or summer bar. There are great bars out there and if you live in a beach town like me, you have access to some pretty cool and different bar scenes. One of our beach bars is on the beach and has its own pools, water mists and air conditioned spots. It’s perfect to have fun in the sun and stay cool.
7. Have a cold treat. Anything that is cold and tastes cold will keep you cool on a hot summer day. My favorite cold treats are frozen yogurt, popsicles, iced coffee and iced tea.
8. Watch a movie inside. There is nothing better than cuddling up on your couch, blasting the AC and watching a classic movie.
9. Read a book. People forget how rewarding reading a book can be. I am trying to at least read one book every month, but it has been very hard with my busy schedule! Pick to read your book in a cool location, like outside by the pool or on a hammock in the shade.
10. Sleep! Sometimes we work and play too hard that we forget the importance of sleep. When it’s too hot outside for you and you’re cranky, it could be because you’re lacking sleep. Stay home, blast the AC, close the blinds and nap all day! Rest is important.