Amy Poehler has long been a trailblazer for women in comedy although she has yet to win an Emmy for her brilliant work on Parks & Recreation. And as if being an actress, writer, Golden Globes host, and producer weren’t enough, Poehler also launched a show for young girls in 2012 called Smart Girls at the Party that provides advice and is inspirational. We’ve picked out some of her best practical advice and are so grateful to have the opportunity to share it with you.
1. You’re going to have a lot of new challenges and opportunities coming your way as you navigate your way through life. Be open to collaboration – it often leads to some great insights and inspirations, so spend time with people who will challenge you and inspire you. You’ll end up changing as result.
2. I think it’s great when women are ambitious and engaged in their work. Bossy isn’t necessarily a pejorative term to me since I believe that someone who is passionate about what they do, capable of leading, and with the ambition necessary to engage actively would be considered bossy.
3. Always keep your mind open to possibilities and try to stay away from absolute statements like ‘always’ and ‘never’.
4. I cannot stress enough that the answers to life’s questions are often in people’s faces. Put your phone down once in a while and try looking at the faces of your friends & family. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by what you’ll see— anger, boredom, love, happiness, etc.
5. Ensure you always remember your kids’ names, and where they’ve been left, and don’t let them drive until their feet are on the pedals. Use the right size diapers and when in doubt, make funny faces.
6. Cheering on other people’s failures probably doesn’t help your success much.
7. It’s important to learn to be grateful for what you do have and not focus too much on what you don’t. That’ll make you happier in the long run.