Biomedical applications for mechanical engineering, advancing my programming skills (currently familiar with object-oriented programming in VBA and matlab, with novice level proficiency in html and css), kinematics, romance languages (I especially enjoy French and Spanish)
Mechanical Engineering Student
University of Missouri, Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
Engineering student passionate about advancing biomedical technology to benefit low-income individuals worldwide. A former teacher in the urban core, I'm passionate about fighting poverty and improving access for all people.
"Everything is figureoutable." -Marie Forleo
Designing high-quality prosthetics specialized for use by individuals in broadly varied circumstances
East High School
English Teacher and 9th Grade Chair
August 2012 — Present
Develop instructional plans for ninth grade communication arts team.
Analyze and respond to data from student assessments.
Guide students in development of long-term plans for high school and beyond.
Collaborate with ninth grade team members to ensure student success.
Prepare and lead weekly meetings for ninth grade team and ninth grade communication arts team.
Teach for America Kansas City
2012 Corps Member
November 2011 — Present
● Selected from nearly 45,000 applicants nationwide to join national teacher corps of recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in under-resourced public schools.
● Participate in intensive training program to develop skills and knowledge needed to achieve significant gains in student achievement.
● Teach in summer school program run by Teach for America for low-income students in Tulsa School District, under supervision of a faculty of experienced teachers.
● Engage in a full schedule of professional development activities, including seminars, discussion groups, workshops, individual and group reflections, readings, and ‘learning teams’ specific to Language Arts education.
Teach For America, Kansas City
Kansas City Public Schools
June 2013 — August 2013
Developing ninth-grade English Language Arts curriculum for the district, drawing on a variety of resources.
Kentucky Refugee Ministries
Elder Program Intern
December 2011 — June 2012
● Collaborate with oral history project team and conduct interviews with refugee clients
● Analyze self-obtained data about the English acquisition of refugees over the age of 65
● Plan and lead English and citizenship lessons for 11 clients at the intermediate level
Americorps Bonner Leaders
June 2011 — June 2012
● Planned and facilitated Bonner orientation, biweekly meetings, retreats, and trainings.
● Procured over $2000 in sponsorships and donations for yearly service leadership conference.
● Organized collaboration between 3 campus groups to procure speakers and reflection guides for servant leaders.
● Supported and motivated 20 Bonner Leaders by providing in-person and email support in completing 300-hour service internships at local nonprofits.
Kentucky Refugee Ministries
ESL Tutor and Classroom Assistant (volunteer)
September 2010 — June 2012
Adult and Child ESL Assistant.
● Led weekly small-group instruction in literacy and job skills to refugee job-seekers, mothers and elders.
● Meet weekly with 5 school-age students to guide goal-setting, homework and self-assessment.
● Serve as classroom aide in execution of large-group English lessons.
Barista and Cashier
January 2011 — January 2012
Pi Beta Phi
Chapter VP Philanthropy
November 2009 — November 2010
● Restructured spring fundraiser to expand semester donations from less than $100 previously to over $500. Doubled funds from fall fundraiser.
● Created and led fundraising committee; appointed chairs to plan and execute fall fundraiser.
● Increased chapter direct service by training entire chapter for local “Everyone Reads” school tutoring program.
● Developed “Read Across America” partnership with single-parent education program.
University of Missouri- Kansas City
BS, Mechanical Engineering
Master of Education (MEd), Secondary English
University of Louisville
BA, French, English, Humanities