Senior Government Relations Manager
July 2016 — Present
• Conducts direct lobbying, legislative monitoring, and coordinated member advocacy for one of the oldest and preeminent organizations working on behalf of women and girls. Ensures AAUW’s voice is heard in dynamic coalition environments. Builds relationships with key congressional offices, federal agencies, and White House.
• Expert on policy regarding higher education, Title IX, sexual harassment and violence on campus, career and technical education, family and medical leave, violence against women, and the federal budget and appropriations.
• Successfully lead AAUW’s advocacy for passage of the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act, the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act, the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act, and for House passage of the Federal Employees Paid Parental Leave Act.
• Subject matter expert frequently interviewed by local and national press.
• Writes published position papers, fact sheets, letters, regulatory comments, and press releases.
• Manages annual publication of the AAUW Action Fund’s Congressional Voting Record.
• Speaker at AAUW-member conventions, community events, and professional conferences.
• Leads weekly volunteer advocacy days with over 1,800 legislator visits scheduled annually. Independently compiles and conducts issue briefings as they pertain to advocacy day.
• Prepares federal lobbying reports and coordinates compliance monitoring for the public policy activities of both AAUW and the AAUW Action Fund.
• Prepares and monitors annual budget proposal for public policy and government relations functions. Hires and supervises two full-time interns.